August 4, 2021
Stirrer Failure in Reactor
• SAM GUARD detected a problem with the stirrer in a reactor; it had a very visible gradient.
HOW SAM GUARD HELPED
• The alert was generated on 13.05 (see image) since the RPM was fluctuating strongly while the motor value remained stable.
• The issue was very prominent and clear on SAM GUARD for the production engineers to take further action.
• The plant engineers analyzed the alerts and asked maintenance to check the stirrer.
• It was found upon inspection that the disc on the stirrer was displaced.
If the issue had been left undetected, the stirrer could have failed during a running batch process, causing product quality issues for the entire batch due to uneven mixing and failed temperature regulation.
Product quality was maintained and production loss was prevented.