June 30, 2022
Flame Retardant Plant Prevents Production Loss Due to Poor Pump Performance
A redundant cooling agent pump had mechanical problems, causing reflux temperature to rise in all the plant’s reactors
How SAM GUARD® Helped
- SAM GUARD detected a rise in temperature in the reflux condenser flow back to the reactor
- SAM GUARD also found that the cooling agent pump’s on/off valve was opening and closing frequently
- SAM GUARD issued an alert about the behavior of the pump.
- Plant engineers found that the redundant pump had mechanical programs. It reactivated the original pump, which worked correctly, and temperatures returned to normal.
- The malfunctioning pump was causing reactor temperature to rise, which could have resulted in production loss and a rise in emissions
- Traditional controls did not pick up on the rise in temperature