August 14, 2021
FIXING WEAR & TEAR ON A VALVE – CASE STUDY
EVENT REPORTED by SAM GUARD®
- A valve was not closing properly, which led to a lack of control over the material’s flow
Measurement Tags Alerted
- Valve opening position
- Slave valve
- Set point
How SAM GUARD® Helped
- Sent an alert indicating strange behavior of valve EFC2702
- The opening position of the slave valve started fluctuating up to 100% while the master set point was absolutely stable.
COST / DOWNTIME AVOIDED
- Upon first inspection it was found that the valve was not closing under 8%
- After calibration it was discovered that the valve was not sealing, so it was replaced and underwent an overall mechanical review
- Deeper inspection found significant wear and tear on the plug, which clearly needed to be replaced.
- Regaining control over the flow of material prevented waste of unnecessary material and helped safeguard the quality of the end products.