March 6, 2023
Blower Malfunction – Outlet Temperature Range CASE STUDY
EVENT REPORTED by SAM GUARD®
- SAM GUARD® detected a change in the temperature range at the outlet of a blower which is feeding process air to a central centrifuge.
- SAM GUARD® hints provided additional information on the impact of the temperature change: Centrifuge head temperature started decreasing, while the bottom temperature began to increase.
- SAM GUARD® demonstrated strong anomaly detection abilities in catching ‘abnormal’ values that are not unique
MAINTENANCE TEAM FINDINGS
- Any disturbances in the centrifuge could result in a complete stoppage of the section, so an email was sent to the plant process engineer as soon as possible.
- The next day we received an update that the maintenance team found one of the straps of the reported blower was torn.
- The strap was replaced, and the temperature range returned to normal. The temperatures in the centrifuge also stabilized.
COST / DOWNTIME AVOIDED
SAM GUARD® detected a malfunction in the blower early enough to prevent damage to downstream equipment. The corrective action of replacing the blower’s strap is cheaper and simpler than handling maintenance work on the centrifuge, as well as much faster to minimize downtime.
“First-rate SAM GUARD alert. The issue was escalated to the plant operators, that inspected the blower and fixed the strap on the same day to restore the centrifuge’s efficiency.”